**Vegan substitutions included below**
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 tablespoons raw unsweetened cacao powder
3/4 cup sugar (preferably raw cane, coconut, date, or other unrefined sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter or neutral vegetable oil (we like grapeseed oil)
1/4 cup yogurt (can be subbed for another egg, but yogurt will add extra moisture and fluff)
1 cup milk
Chocolate ganache, whipped cream, or other frosting of choice (optional)
Replace egg and yogurt with: 1/2 cup apple sauce, vegan yogurt, or silken tofu, OR 1 ripe mashed banana
Repace milk with oat or soy milk OR coffee (bonus: coffee will enhance the flavour of the chocolate) + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar.
Our granola is, as always, plant-based and refined-sugar free!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 convection), and grease a loaf pan/small bundt cake pan, or any other standard size mold
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, pour the milk, the egg, oil, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Pour into mold, sprinkle granola on top of the batter (if using frosting, skip this step until after you have frosted the cake)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Every oven is different so start checking at 40 minutes.